(and links to other sites with satellite info)
Last updated 21 April 2015
Always wanted one of those 18" dishes with the good sound and great picture?
Here's more info on DBS/DSS.
The only reason I didn't have one is that I'd need nine receivers (since you can't record one channel while watching another).
TurnerVision is one of the few BUD service providers that doesn't make you purchase a "package" of useless programs (CourtTV, Discovery, etc) along with the channels you want
4Dtv will be nice for us Big Ugly Dish owners once they put some of the normal channels in the digital lineup
Other Satellite info
Unfortunately, the house I just purchased isn't in an area served by cable.
Well, it's unfortunate that I don't have easy access to the shows I enjoy--I won't miss the cruddy picture.
If the house hadn't already had a BUD (big ugly dish) installed, I would have put in a DSS system.
They are much nicer than the BUDs for several reasons:
Now that I've totally offended an entire group of which I've just become a part of :-) here's a list of other satellite web pages:
- They are smaller, so you don't have an ugly monstrosity in your back yard
- You get a digital picture instead of settling for analog crap
- You don't have to re-aim the dish every time you want to watch a different channel. I generally flip between a few different channels during commercials, and if the shows are on different birds, it can get really annoying having to wait for it to move the dish.
- If you want to watch one channel while taping another (or tape two channels) you need a second complete system with a BUD (assuming they are coming from different birds); with a DSS, you can use a single dish and just have multiple receivers.
- The BUD systems cost about six times more than the DSS systems.
- The people on the net who own DSS systems are generally friendly;
the BUD owners (and now I'm making a sweeping generalization based soley on the articles I've read over the last few years)
tend to be thick-headed neanderthals who are too cheap to pay for programming--thus they only watch (and listen to) the free channels.
Other local television stations (some available via satellite)
Other local radio stations (some available via satellite)
Online TV Guides
Other Misc Sites
If you have any comments, I can be reached via email at
Copyright © 1994-2015 Otto E Heuer. All rights reserved.